Friday, April 01, 2005

what-the-fuckometer

noun. A handy, portable, WTF-detecting device.

Related terms: fuckometer, don't-give-a-fuckometer.

Real citation: "Before I left for winter break, my roommate asked me if her sister could come visit for two weeks. I said okey dokey. I came back from Massachusetts on the 3rd of January and about 3 or 4 days later, the sister arrived. She crashed on the couch and joined our little Law and Order cult. (By cult I mean we watch completely unhealthy amounts of it.) No worries. One day, I was home from work, and Sister was on the phone. When she got off the phone, she was very happy because she was most likely going to get the job she'd applied for. Yay! Job! We did the New Job Conversation (i.e. the What Where When convo), until my what-the-fuck-ometer went off. "Wait...when does this job start?" "Whenever they tell me I actually have it, I guess!""
(AlwaysAnEagle, Feb. 1, 2004, http://www.ubersite.com/m/24561)

Made-up citation: "Though rats make fantastic pets, I tell dubious-looking strangers I have hamsters, just so I don't set off their narrow-minded, car-alarm-like what-the-fuckometers."

No comments: